Thursday, June 10, 2010

Katie Sharp 08-21-1944 ~ 06-10-2010




My mother-in-law (more like Mama) passed away at 7:05 this morning. I didn't get to tell her what I wanted, but she knew I was there. She was an amazing woman.

She was strong. If something was bothering her or she was worried, she never let it show. She always put on a smile and would hug your neck.

She was funny. Every Monday and Tuesday morning at her store she greeted her customers with smiles, best regards and jokes. She knew so many of them, you never heard the same one twice.

She was loving. She opened up her heart to me before I even joined the family. Making me feel right at home. I got to experience what family was really all about. Coming from a broken home, that meant the world to me. She would print out pictures of Greg and I and brag about how pretty she thought I was to her customers. :)

She was considerate. I remember when Greg and I lived in Japan. Her, George and Angie would put together care packages for us. Always remembering to put something in there for me, even if it was something small,  so I wouldn't feel left out or unloved. So I would know I was in her thoughts. That meant a lot to me.

She was honest. If she didn't like you, boy watch out. :) But she liked everybody and everybody loved her. She would always give you her time and advice. Whether you wanted it or not. :)

She was a wonderful Mother, friend and Grandmother. Always putting her children and grandchildren first. I am so joyful that I could share my beautiful son Sebastian with her. She adored and cherished that boy. Always showing off pictures of him at her store, Sam's and basically at every opportunity she had.

If I could go back and tell her I how I felt. I would hold her hand and say...

Thank you- For welcoming me into the family with such love and pride. For always being there. For always having a smile on your face when I saw you and hugging me like I was your very own. For being such an amazing friend and mother. I can't thank you enough for everything you've given me. I will never forget you and when I think about you, I will shed a tear, but I will smile too. Thinking about how funny you were, and the fun times I had going to St. Augustine with you and the family. Among many others.

I would also tell her.

I'm sorry- For not keeping my promise. For leaving the way I did. For not being a better daughter in law and for not keeping in contact with you. It was just too hard. I knew you were disappointed in me but still loved none the less.

And lastly, I would have told you I loved you. In my eyes, you were my real mother. Loving me no matter what and forgiving me for my mistakes.

 I love you Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment